WORC's Principles of Community Organizing is a hands-on workshop on the basics of leadership, fundraising, organizational development, and community organizing.
Principles of Community Organizing
Home on the Range
Billings, MT July 15-18, 2015
"Just a few days after returning from the workshop, I had the opportunity to do my first large-donor ask. The result was a $750 donation to Dakota Rural Action. Because of my experience at this workshop, I feel I will be able to continue my fundraising work for DRA with this same level of comfort and confidence."
- Wyatt Urlacher, member
This workshop covers a wide range of skills and topics for community organizers and leaders of grassroots community organizations.
- Why we organize
- Roles of leaders and staff
- Membership recruitment
- Developing an issue campaign
- Planning and taking actions
- Healthy organizations
- Leadership development
- Building strong relationships
- Working with the media
- Running good meetings
- Grassroots fundraising
Each participant receives a copy of Applying the Principles of Community Organizing, a practical notebook of support materials.
"I wanted to be energized to do my job. I am. I wanted to take ideas back to my organization. I will."
Betty Kijewski, Montana Human Rights Network.
How to apply
- WORC network members and staff must contact the Director of their organization and ensure they have his or her support to apply.
- Complete the application online and submit it. Or, you can download the flier and application here to mail to WORC. Include an explanation of why you want to participate in the training.
- WORC will notify you once your application has been approved.
- Workshop fee is $100 for approved WORC network members and staff and $500 for non-WORC member group participants. Fee does not include meals, lodging or travel.
Read an article about the workshop by a 2014 graduate.
Reserve Your Seat
Space is limited. WORC leaders and staff have priority placement. WORC reserves your space in the training on approval of your application and payment of the fee.
Applicant agrees to attend all sessions of the training.